Thursday, September 9, 2010

Strawberry Trifle

I made a trifle for company tonight.  I used a strawberry cake recipe from my cake Mix Dr. cook book and my mom's vanilla custard recipe.  I hope you enjoy.  I'm looking forward to eating it tonight.  I'll top each serving with whipped cream.  I wonder if they'll notice if some is missing? 

Strawberry Trifle (layers bottom to top: strawberry cake, angle food cake,
strawberries, vanilla custard, strawberry cake, and strawberries)


Strawberry Cake
(recipe from "The Cake Mix Doctor") w/my variations

1 box white cake mix
1 (3oz) package strawberry jello
4 T. flour
1 c. oil
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. sour cream
4 large eggs
1 c. strawberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour two 8 inch cake pans.

Place cake mix, jello, flour, and sugar in a bowl and mix with mixer.  Add eggs, milk, oil, and strawberries to cake mixture.  Mix all together on low for one minute.  Scrape sides and mix on medium for two minutes.  Divide batter evenly in pans and bake for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. 



Mom's Vanilla Custard
1 3/4 c. evaporated milk (one can)
1/4 c. whole milk
6 egg yolks
3 T. sugar
1 t. vanilla extract
pinch of salt

Heat the milk in the top part of a double boiler. Mix egg yolks, sugar, and salt thoroughly, but don't beat. When bubbles appear around the edge of the milk, pour about a third of it into the egg mixture and blend well. Pour this into the remaining milk in the double boiler top. Put over boiling water and cook, stirring constantly with a rubber scraper so that you can get into the corners and around the sides of the pan. When the mixture thickens and coats a spoon, it is done. Add vanilla, mix well, and cool. Makes about 2 1/2 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment