Saturday, September 18, 2010

Apple Dumplings

Fall is just peeking around the corner.  We went to the orchard this week and bought some delicious apples.  I had a hard time deciding what to bake first.  I decided to reach back to my childhood and bake apple dumplings like my mom and grandma used to make.  I love the way the aroma of apples and cinnamon reminds me of my childhood.  It's such a comforting smell that wraps me with warmth.  I'm trying to be patient.  While I'm typing this entry I'm smelling the goodness of the apples and cinnamon calling my name.  These may not look perfect but oh they are so yummy.  I hope you enjoy a little piece of my family history through these apple dumplings.  I know I will.

Apple Dumpling



Apple in center of rolled pie crust


Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and pat of butter


Fold dough around dumpling


Baking in cinnamon sugar water/syrup




Apple Dumplings

4 large baking apples
1/4 c. cinnamon sugar
4 T. cinnamon sugar
2 T. butter
2/3 c. water
Pie crust recipe of your choice (or recipe listed below)

Preheat oven 350 degrees.  Prepare baking dish by spraying with non stick spray.

Combine 1/4 c. cinnamon sugar and 2/3 c. water in bowl until sugar is dissolved.

Peel and core apples.  Roll approx. a fist size of pie dough out on floured surface in a circle shape.  Place peeled and cored apple in center of dough.  Put one tablespoon of cinnamon sugar in center and top of apple.  Put 1/2 tablespoon of butter on top.  Moisten outside edge of dough with water.  Fold dough over apple like closing a box lid.  After you lay the first layer of dough over top of apple dampen the top side of dough with water so other layers will stick.  Repeat after each layer until last side layer is placed on top.  Place in baking dish.  Pour cinnamon sugar water in dish.  Bake dumplings for 50-60 minutes until apples are tender and crust is golden.  If crust seems to be getting dark cover with foil loosely and continue baking.  Cinnamon sugar water should have turned into a syrup.  Pour syrup over dumplings and serve warm.




Pie Crust

4c. flour
1 3/4 c. shortening
1 egg
1 T. apple cider vinegar
2 t. salt
1/2 c. water

Mix flour and salt together.  Add shortening and mix with fork until little pea size beads form.  In a separate bowl, mix together: water, apple cider. and egg.  Add egg mixture to flour/shortening mixture until ball forms.  Dough should be slightly sticky.  Roll as needed.  Recipe should make 2 top/bottom pie shell crusts.  Bake according to your pie recipe directions.






No comments:

Post a Comment