Friday, September 24, 2010

Cinnamon Bread Pudding with Apple Cream Sauce

I found another recipe to try.  I also created a sauce to go with it.  My mom used to make bread pudding in the fall.  I tried her recipe with cinnamon raisin bread instead of regular white bread and cut the sugar amount.  This past winter I tasted a bread pudding recipe that was so light and fluffy.  I found out that they soaked the bread in the milk first and not the milk and egg mixture.  So I tried this adjustment to my mom's recipe also.  My mom just drizzled icing over the top.  I decided to find an apple cream sauce.  I didn't find one so I created one with apple sauce and milk.  This was the result.  Believe it or not the apple cream sauce was delicious with the bread pudding.  You can make a diet friendly version of this recipe by using whole wheat bread, 4 egg whites, skim milk and evaporated skim milk, and  1 1/4 c. splenda.  I hope you enjoy. 


Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding w/ Creamy Apple Sauce



Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding

Small loaf of Cinnamon Raisin Bread (stale or slightly toasted)
1 can evaporated milk
1/2 c. whole milk
3 eggs
2 t. vanilla
1/2 t. salt
3/4 c. sugar
2 T. butter (melted)
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. pumpkin pie spice

Preheat oven 350 degrees.  Spray an 8x11 baking dish with nonstick spray.

Cut bread into one inch pieces.  In a large bowl, mix milk and vanilla together.  Add bread to the milk and push bread so that milk covers it completely.  Let bread soak 20-30 minutes until all the pieces of bread are soft.  In a small bowl, mix eggs, sugar, salt, melted butter and spices together until well blended.  Pour the egg mixture into the milk soaked bread and fold until combined.  Pour into baking dish.  Bake for 50-60 minutes or until custard is set and baked all the way through.  Let cool 20 minutes.  Cut and serve plain or with creamy apple sauce. 


Apple Cream Sauce

1 c. unsweetened apple sauce
2 T. sugar
2 t. corn starch
1/3 c. milk
1/2 t. cinnamon
2 T. butter

In a small sauce pan melt butter.  Add apple sauce and cinnamon and sugar.  Mix milk and cornstarch together.  Simmer apple sauce but not to a boil.  Add Milk/cornstarch mixture to apple sauce and mix until you bring to a boil.  Boil for 2-3 minutes stirring constantly.  Remove from heat.  Pour over Bread Pudding and serve warm. 





No comments:

Post a Comment