Monday, September 20, 2010

Strawberry Shortcake

This is a newer version of my Great-Grandma's Strawberry Shortcake.  I added a little sugar to sweeten it up and it's so good.  I turned it into a trifle and added whipped cream.  I had the great fortune of growing up with great grandparents that owned a strawberry farm.  We had strawberries all the time.  I remember picking strawberries each year.  I think I ate more than I picked.  "One in the basket...two in my mouth".  My great grandma had this pie like strawberry shortcake recipe.  My my mom would make this a few times a year.  My mom would even make it in the winter using frozen strawberries.    I hope you enjoy this as much as my family has for generations. 


Strawberry Shortcake Trifle



Strawberry Shortcake Trifle
2-16 oz. packages frozen strawberries (thawed, smashed)
4 T. sugar (added to smashed strawberries)
whipped cream (recipe below)
shortcake (recipe below)
fresh strawberries for garnish

Layer shortcake, strawberries, then whipped cream alternating each layer finishing with whipped cream and garnish with whole strawberries. 


Shortcake Recipe
1 1/2 c. flour
1 T. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
2 T. sugar
1/2 c. shortening (grandma used lard)
1/2-2/3 c. milk

Preheat 350 degrees.  Spray cookie sheet with nonstick spray.

Sift together flour, salt, and baking powder.  Mix in shortening with fork until incorporated evenly and crumbly.  Add 1/2 cup milk to form soft dough.  If too dry, add more milk 1 teaspoon at a time until dough is soft.  Roll out dough like pie crust and place on cookie sheet.  Bake 11-13 minutes or until outer edges are golden brown.  Let cool, then assemble in layers alternating with strawberries.  Chill for 4-6 hours before serving.



Whipped Cream
2 c. heavy whipping cream
4 T. sugar
2 t. vanilla extract

Chill large glass or metal bowl and beaters.  Pour cream, sugar, and vanilla in bowl and beat until firm peaks form. 






No comments:

Post a Comment