Thursday, July 21, 2011

Corn Cakes

I've been trying to switch a lot of things that I've been eating.  I've also been cutting back on portions and how often I eat each day.  I don't think I can see myself ever being a true vegetarian but I am trying to switch to healthier eating and whole fresh foods and organic dairies and eggs.  It's easier now that it's summer and the fruits and vegetables are fresh and less expensive.  But in a few months, they wont be as readily available and they will also be more expensive.  I tried this recipe because it used frozen corn.  It's something that tastes summery but I know I can still make them in the cold months.  I tweaked the recipe a bit.  I found the recipe on the food network site.  It was from Giada De Laurentiis.  I enjoyed them and would make them again. 




Corn Cakes



Uncooked corn cakes



Corn cakes with panko bread crumbs



Corn Cakes

2 cups frozen corn, thawed
3/4 cup shredded smoked mozzarella or Pizza Cheese (3 ounces)
1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
1 tablespoon sour cream
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil


In a food processor, pulse the corn into a chunky puree. Place in a medium bowl. Add the cheese, 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs, chives, sour cream, salt, and pepper. Stir until combined. Form the mixture into 9 balls and then flatten into patties, each about 2 1/2 inches in diameter and 3/4-inch thick. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Coat the patties in the 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs. Heat oil in skillet.  Brown the cakes until toasted, 4 to 5 minutes each side.




No comments:

Post a Comment